Re: Buffer Bloat, and what to do about it in Debian

Alan Chandler wrote:
> I can obviously (at least according to one of the blog entries)
> change the txqueuelen manually to some other value, but how do you
> set such entries permenantly in Debian - and what is controlling
> that value - why are they different between my server and desktop?
>
> I poked around in /etc/networking, but can't find anything that
> might affect it their.

Two good places come to mind to make these types of adjustments.

In /etc/network/interfaces you can add up and down statements.  Read
the man page for interfaces for the details.

  man interfaces

For example you could put the following in place for a static IP
assignment.

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.101
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255
	gateway 192.168.1.1
	up ip link set eth0 txqueuelen 0

That is simple should work fine for static ip assignments.  But for
dynamic IP assignments such as on a laptop you may be using wicd (or
network-manager) in which case you can't have any dhcp interfaces
configured in this way or wicd and n-m will ignore them.

In /etc/network/if-up.d/* (named something such as local-txqueuelen)
you can place a startup script to be launched when interfaces come up.
Something like this:

#!/bin/sh
case $IFACE in
    eth0)
        up ip link set eth0 txqueuelen 0
        ;;
esac
exit 0

Note that I didn't test any of the above.

Bob