Re: Debian (sid) painfully slow.

Neil Youngman said:

OK, I'm obviously missing something here. Sid is testing, squeeze is in
testing, I thought sid and squeeze were essentially the same thing?

Essentially I changed the priorities to make testing the default and did an
apt-get dist-upgrade, although I had previously upgraded a fair amount using
install -t testing

------

Technically there are three branches in Debian. Stable, Testing, and Unstable.

As it stands, untill Squeeze is declared stable...

Lenny is Stable
Squeeze is Testing
Sid is Unstable

When Squeeze becomes Stable, Lenny is Moved to Old Stable, and Testing takes on the name designated for stable version 7 to be released in 2013..

Sid is the same as unstable and that never changes...

I'm not extremely experienced with dist-upgrades but to my knowledge, you want to

apt-get clean

apt-get update

 apt-get upgrade

 *then* change your repositories to testing

apt-get clean

apt-get update

dist-upgrade

I think that's the general process;