Re: X Keyboard layout trouble

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 05:15:28PM EST, Robert Latest wrote:

[..]

> What now? I'm stumped.

Works here out of the box on Debian stable.

Since I do not run dwm, I did the following:

$ /bin/su -
# apt-get install dwm
# adduser dwm                         # password .. enter .. enter
# cd /home/dwm
# echo 'exec dwm' > .xinitrc
# chown dwm.dwm .xinitrc
# exit

CTRL+ALT+F2                           # switch to console

login as dwm

$ startx
ALT+SHIFT+Enter                       # start an xterm
$ setxkbmap de                        # with dead keys
$ setxkbmap de -variant nodeadkeys    # w/o  dead keys

AltGr+7   ->  {
AltGr+8   ->  [                       # etc..

Since I installed stable only a couple of weeks ago, I think that rather
than dwm, it's something in your setup that's causing the problem.

You could try the above and see what happens with a virgin test user.

Here's the keyboard stanza in my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
EndSection

Basically similar to yours..

My (wild) guess is that your AltGr/AltGr key is mapped to Mod1 instead
of Mod3 but I could be wrong about that.

What does xmodmap (with no flags) output? Does it have both Alt_L and
Alt_R mapped to Mod1?

Just to eliminate any keyboard peculiarities, did you try to plug in
an external keyboard?

cj