Re: Term Variable in automatic updates

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 11:31:16AM +0100, Josep M. Gasso wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have one script for do automatic updates with aptitude, the TERM
> variable in my system is xterm
>

> $ echo ${TERM}
> xterm
>

> But, what value should be set for the TERM variable when doing automatic
> updates?

It should be unset: there is no terminal for user interaction.
Setting DEBCONF_FRONTEND=noninteractive will prevent the warning
messages you were seeing.

> As now seems that fails for this.
>
> Setting up console-setup (1.66) ...
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
> debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
> debconf: (This frontend requires a controlling tty.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
> Configuring console-setup

There's no failure here, it's just falling back on different
methods.  Setting DEBCONF_FRONTEND will simply select the
noninteractive frontend by default (any questions will simply
use the default).

> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
> debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
> debconf: (This frontend requires a controlling tty.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
> Configuring console-setup
> -------------------------
>
> Please choose the character set that should be supported by the console
> font.
>
> Character set to support:
> Use of uninitialized value $_[1] in join or string
> at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Stack.pm line 111.
> sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unterminated `s' command

This is a bug in either Debconf or the maintainer script using
debconf.  I highly recommend reporting it to the console-setup
and/or debconf maintainers.

> dpkg: error processing console-setup (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
> status 128

Regards,
Roger

--