Re: sleeping the system vs hibernate or suspend

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Toan Pham <tpham3783@gmail.com> wrote:

On my system running kernel 2.6.32-21, both S3 and S4 work perfectly.

However, on my other system running kernel 2.6.36-x, both S3 and S4
failed, giving results similar to your log.

FWIW, I've had good luck using the uswsusp package, switching from Gnome desktop to text console via Ctrl-Alt-F1 and issuing "s2ram" command once logged in as root. Upon restarting, Ctrl-C to see a prompt again, then Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to Gnome.  In cases where laptop/screen doesn't wake up, Ctrl-C and then "reboot" command works, even though you can't see what you are typing the computer will restart.  I found this to be a pretty reliable method, especially since even if the screen doesn't wake up, you can issue the "reboot" command instead of a system crash/forced shutdown/etc.

HTH