Re: [OT] Re: microsoft.com -> NetBSD

Look, I am as much for free software as the rest, but I think the FSF
tends to start brush fires to justify their own existence. I believe
they have done some good work, but many things they do seem to be
counterproductive to the cause. For instance, their latest attack, on
Linus Torvalds, claiming that the Linux Kernel is Open Core, and that
"Linux Kernel Is Torvalds' 'Bait and Switch'"
(http://www.osnews.com/story/24009/FSFLA_Linux_Kernel_Is_Torvalds_Bait_and_Switch_
and http://lwn.net/Articles/413927/) Why? Because you can install
binary blobs on your Linux system if you _choose to_? That makes the
kernel Open Core? And Linus is intentionally drawing people in to
software heresy?

I understand people like Nate's position. However, I also understand
the need for some proprietary software. If it weren't for some of it,
Linux would still be a garage project. For the last 12 years, I have
been able to earn a living as a professional Linux system admin. We
would not be where we are without uptake on the part of companies. The
human genome would not have been mapped by Linux, military systems
would not be running Linux, etc. It's a balancing act that we have,
thus far, done, IMHO, a pretty decent job of.

Again, I am not trying to start a flame war, but I am a pragmatist. I
would rather get Linux in an organization, even if that means that
temporarily (e.g. application level) or semi-permanently (e.g. binary
blobs for proprietary hardware...until equivalent free drivers are
developed) using something proprietary. I think getting Linux in the
door is a win, even if it is not 100% free.

--b