Re: PostgreSQL+ZFS

In <[🔎] 4D1F5543.3010108@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>Atif CEYLAN put forth on 12/31/2010 4:58 PM:
>> I have a large postgresql database system and I want to migrate to a new
>> and fast storage system (10 Gbp/s FC network). But 150x3 ssd disk on my
>> db server and I want to use ext4 file system (raid5) at the ssd disks as
>> xlog storage or use zfs (raidz) as disk buffer cache.
>> What is your idea?
>
>In as few words as possible?  You're a nut job.  The mere mention of
>using FUSE ZFS in any production context on Linux proves it.

Agreed.  I wouldn't consider btrfs or ZFS for production work on Linux right
now.

>As does
>mentioning running RAID 5 on 3 SSDs,

Is your problem with RAID5 or the SSDs?

Sudden disk failure can occur with SSDs, just like with magnetic media.  If
you are going to use them in a production environment they should be RAIDed
like any disk.

RAID 5 on SSDs is sort of odd though.  RAID 5 is really a poor man's RAID;
yet, SSDs cost quite a bit more than magnetic media for the same amount of
storage.

>or any SSDs for that matter, or

SSDs intended as HD replacements support more read/write cycles per block than
you will use for many decades, even if you were using all the disk I/O the
entire time.

SSDs intended as HD replacements are generally faster than magnetic media,
though it varies based on manufacturer and workload.

I see little to no problem using SSDs in a production environment.

>running RAID 5 in a db context, for that matter.

Some people just hate on RAID 5.  It is fine for it's intended purpose, which
is LOTS for storage with some redundancy on identical (or near-identical)
drives.  I've run (and recovered) it on 3-6 drives.

However, RAID 1/0 is vastly superior in terms of reliability and speed.  It
costs a bit more for the same amount of usable space, but it is worth it.

In a DB context in particular, you are probably going to be doing many small
reads.  RAID 5 does not speed up those operations significantly, whereas a
good RAID 1/0 will reduce seek time by nearly 50%.

I suggest you use RAID 1/0 on your SSDs, quite a few RAID 1/0 implementations
will work with 3 drives.  RAID 1/0 should be a little more performant and a
little less CPU intensive than RAID 5 for transaction logs.  As far as file
system, I think ext3 would be fine for this workload, although it would
probably be worth it to benchmark against ext4 to see if it gives any
improvement.