Re: [OT] Stupid consumers and inferior hardware (was: Monitor question)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:03:24 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> Manufacturers are not doing this because the consumer wants it.  They
> are doing it to cut costs.  And they think they can get away with it.
> And sadly, in most cases, they are right.  Most consumers can't even
> tell that they are being ripped off.  If consumers stopped buying
> these inferior items, manufacturers would stop producing them.  But
> they don't. They keep buying them.  We're getting what we deserve,
> I'm afraid.

they get away with it because most people run windows, the mfr provides
the driver, and when it breaks, people expect it because it's windows.

Remember the "tulip" ethernet chip ?  Friend of mine loaned me a card
for ethernet and it worked great.  I bought one and it didn't work
worth a darn.  Got his board back - worked great.

Examined the board carefully, they were exactly the same.  oh, except
for one minor thing.  the tulip chip had "rev B" on it.  My friends was
"rev A".

You will always be in trouble with hardware under Linux because of the
lack of mfr's drivers, and when they do provide drivers they are
generally binary objects, e.g. NVIDIA.

It's very frustrating, so I for one appreciate your rant :-)

Brian