Re: [slightly OT] Internet accessible home security systems using Debian?

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:37:20 -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Does anybody have any experience installing/using an internet accessible
> home security system?
>
> We recently bought a retirement home, but it will be a year or so before
> we can move in -- leaving the place uninhabited most of the time.  I'd
> like to install an inexpensive (under $1000 for parts -- I'll do the
> installation myself) CC-TV  ("CC"="closed circuit") and recorder that
> can be connected to a Linux-based computer I can access over the
> Internet.
>
> Has anybody done such a thing?  Any recommendations?

There was a recent Unixmen article on this subject:

***
Howto Turn your old webcam into a motion-detecting security camera in
Linux
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/1018-how-to-turn-your-webcam-into-a-motion-detecting-security-spy-camera-in-linux
***

> A friend recommended Apex CC-TV.  Their web site has a setup with 4
> cameras and a 250GB DVR that has "the ability to remotely view live and
> recorded video from any Internet connection."   Has anybody here ever
> dealt with them?  Any thoughts?

You could also consider small domo IP networked cameras which provide an
embedded mini web-server and they're easy to setup and control (basically
you only need to provide the power and a dsl/cable Internet connection).
Some of the more advanced devices also allow storing the data remotely or
sending e-mails with attached images when motion is deteced or at
predefined/regular intervals.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón