Re: Flash on Iceweasel?

On 12/30/2010 04:58 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I am trying to get flash running on my netbook, which is running
Iceweasel on Squeeze. I have installed flashplugin-nonfree, but when I
go to a flash site it says that I need to install missing plugins and
the link does not find any available plugins. Also, despite the fact
that flashplugin-nonfree is installed, If I check Tools/Add-Ons/Plugins
it does not show flash.

What am I doing wrong?

Marc

If you type

about:plugins

into the address field and hit the Return key, do you find the flash plugin there?

I don't use the Adobe stuff, so I'm kind of feeling my way in the dark here. (FOSS only for me, but other folks need to use closed source.) I wouldn't expect you to see the flash plugin where you were looking. I think that only shows "extensions".

Just playing a hunch. Do you have something like the NoScript extension installed and set to not allow javascript by default? If so, then going to a site that calls a flash demo/video with javascript will actually usually tell you that you need the flash plugin (or the "latest" flash plugin, or whatever). In that case, all you have to do is to allow javascript for that page (and maybe for whatever site is actually serving up the flash video).

For instance, with my libgnashplugin.so flash player plugin, if I go to youtube.com I have to enable javascript for both youtube.com and for ytimg.com in order to view the videos.

If this is not helpful, forgive me. I'm elderly, under medication, and very tired.

Best regards,
Gilbert