Re: insserv + apache2 + bind9 = pain

On Thu December 30 2010 12:13:03 Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:
> > Your solution is to edit /etc/init.d/apache2.  Your solution requires
> > manual intervention on every apache2 upgrade.
>
> Apparently not:

I see.  So for packages which "respect editing /etc/init.d/"
files, manual intervention is required every time the
packager changes the virgin "/etc/init.d/" file, but not
necessarily on every upgrade.

Thank you, Tom.

Nevertheless, this is still more manual intervention than
if the override is placed in /etc/insserv/overrides, or some
but not all of the many other places where dependencies can
be declared.

Some of the open questions are which of those many places are
reserved for Debian packagers and which are reserved for
sysadmins; and which if any will be automatically converted
to systemd or launchd or upstart when insserv is thrown out.

--Mike Bird