Re: permissions all zero when using 'cp'

Martin Lorenz wrote:
> mlo@vs152058:~$ type cp
> cp is aliased to `cp -i'
>
> as root:
>
> root@vs152058:~# type cp
> cp is /bin/cp

It looks okay.  I was hoping that it pointed to a different command
that could be traced to a problem.  But apparently not.

> > Try running in a clean environment to see if it is an environment
> > variable.  'env -i' will initialize an empty environment.

It looks okay.  I was hoping that an environment variable such as
LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH would have pointed to a rogue library.
Without that in the environment it would work.  But apparently not.

Those two ideas were my best guesses at what could cause such strange
behavior.  Unfortunately your reply information does not show anything
wrong that I can see in either of those two cases.

> > If that still shows a problem then look deeper with strace.
> >   $ strace -v -e trace=file -o /tmp/cp.strace.out cp testfile1 testfile2
> open("testfile1", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3
> open("testfile2", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0) = 4

That is perfectly normal for a 32-bit system.  Okay.

> does this tell you something?

Unfortunately your information looked normal and did not point me
toward anything that looked like a problem.

Mike Bird's guess at selinux was a good question.

I am not conversationally fluent with filesystem attributes.  Is it
possible that 'chattr' was run on your filesystem?  Try running
'lsattr' and listing the filesystem attributes to see if something has
been set.  You will need to read the documentation for information as
I know little about it but only that they exist.  For me I only see
dashes on my filesystem because I have not set any attributes.

  lsattr

Sorry but I do not know.  I have exhausted my guesses.

Bob