Re: CDROM burning problem - new approach

On 12/28/2010 05:26 PM, Ken Heard wrote:

Since I have two DVD/CD rewritable drive units in two different boxes,
it occurred to me to swap the two and see what would happen.  Here is
the result:

ken@SOL:~/downloads$ wodim -v speed=2 dev=/dev/hda
wodim: fifo had 10699 puts and 10699 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 10417 times full, min fill was 97%.
ken@SOL:~/downloads$

So, as can be seen, with the replacement drive unit everything was
working as it should.  The question now is why one drive would work but
not the other.
I would still like to know why the Sony drive would not write (it did
read) in the Gigabyte box and fix it if possible.  Could it be a
firmware problem?

Google is your friend here, but by my experience, most likely not.

This is an obvious hardware problem. It is a common failure mode for a drive to stop burning or burn intermittently and continue to otherwise work. Also common is for burnable media to go bad, or a particular combination of drive and CD media to not work.

It would be interesting for you to try burning from the other computer with the non-working drive, and to try new media of a different brand.

At least here in the US, a new drive costs roughly twice a smaller pack of CDRs. In the interest of time and cost, it may be easier to replace the drive altogether.

Chance