Re: Debian Squeeze and Intel 82830 GC on Thinkpad X30

>> Possibly someone out there has a working xorg.conf for this amazingly
>> long lived little laptop?
>
> I use Debian testing on my X30 with an empty xorg.conf.
> The switch to "kernel mode setting" (KMS) seems to have brought its
> share of problems, tho: without KMS the i810 driver won't start any
> more, and with KMS, the text console doesn't display (so I get a blank
> screen for a large part of the boot, until X starts up, which is
> a problem when X fails to start up or when booting to single user mode).
>
> In case it matters, it seems that KMS is controlled via
> /etc/modprobe.d/i810.conf (and you may have to update-initramfs after
> changing that file).
>
>         Stefan

So you use KMS and get good performance? I'll give it a go. Any ideas if
its something being worked on - old workhorses like this are perfect low
cost Linux workstations and it's a shame things break so regularly in
video-land. I use testing on all my machines and its only this one that
video is a hit and miss affair. When Squeeze goes stable I'll probably
keep it there then.