Re: configuring packages from script

George Shuklin wrote:
> Now I need to do same thing from script. I know I can change
> configuration file directly, but will it right solution?
>
> Is any way to supply replies to debconf during some package
> reconfiguration?

There are several ways.  I like setting the EDITOR variable to a perl
script that will make the changes I desire and then select the editor
frontend for the task.

For example, the following configures the default paper size in
libpaper to be a US-centric "letter" default instead of "a4".

  # With the frontend set to editor we get a file and we only need to
  # change the value on the line from yes to no.
  EDITOR='perl -pi -e "s@libpaper/defaultpaper=.*@libpaper/defaultpaper=\"'"letter"'\"@"' \
    dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=editor libpaper1

You may want to set
  export DEBCONF_ADMIN_EMAIL=""
to avoid any email, if email were to be sent.

Bob