Re: "No devices found" in X

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:50:42 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:45:55 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

>> By reading your xorg log error, I see two problems here:
>
> Thanks for the help (as always!), but you may be confusing two different
> problems.  The X log is from my initial problem, where the system comes
> up fine, but X won't start.  Sven showed me that I need to enable KMS,
> and now X works fine.  The current problem is with the console (which
> used to work fine!) - the screen goes (and stays) black, shortly after
> the beginning of the boot process, although, as I've explained, I can
> actually get a working system by waiting for the completion of the boot
> and then blindly typing 'startx', which gets me to a perfectly normal X
> session.

Yep, I've missed that part (the one where you started the system with
"startx") :-)

>> 1/ Intel driver is failing (not normal but users are accustomed to
>> this)
>
> Accustomed?!

Well, "xserver-xorg-video-intel" package has many open bugs:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=xserver-xorg-video-intel

And some of them are important, leading the user to an unstable system or
crashes... and yes, I know, I know: Intel is a "good chap" and provides open
specs for their chipsets and has people working into many stages of the open
source projects (kernel, network drivers, VGA, MeeGo, VT...), is just
their graphic drivers need to be a bit more "fine-grained" in these days.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón