Re: Fun with DVD-RAM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:42:59 -0500, Curt Howland wrote:

(...)

> This was an interesting error during my efforts:
>
> =====
> # fsck /dev/sr0
> fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
> fsck: fsck.udf: not found
> fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.udf for /dev/sr0
> =====
>
> Is there a way to do a file system check on a UDF disk?

There should be.

***
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/6.3/multimedia/udftools.html

udffsck is used to check the integrity and correct errors on UDF
filesystems.
***

So "udftools" package should contain "udffsck" but it seems it's not
available in Debian package :-?

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/udftools

> Next, while I realize that UDF "spreads the writes around" and makes the
> disks last longer, I am using them for long-term archive rather than
> something like a daily backup. Is there a reason anyone can think of for
> not reformatting in ext2 or some other "fsck-able" format? (I know not
> to use a journaling file system, because of the myriad rewrites of the
> journal itself)

In theory, you can use whatever filesystem you prefer... or so it says
Wikipedia¹, but it also warns that some of them perform faster that
others, without entering into the details:

"(...) Even though it is possible to use any file system one likes, only
very few perform well on DVD-RAM. This is because some file systems
frequently overwrite data on the disc and the table of contents is
contained at the start of the disc."

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM#Compatibility

Greetings,

--