Re: Xorg changes? Nouveaux prefered over NV? How can I tell?

On 20/12/10 18:37, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-12-20 18:58 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

I had previously configured the nvidia kernel module to run because it
seem to perform better with mythtv

Was there an upgrade of nvidia-glx or the kernel?  Also, do you use the
nvidia-* packages from non-free, or have you run Nvidia's installer?

Its the nvidia-* packages from non-free

Looking at my Xorg.0.log file, it appears that the nv driver is being

further down the file, and with no warning as to why
(II) UnloadModule: "nv"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so

This is pretty normal, although you should specify the nvidia driver in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, preventing all the probing of other drivers in the
first place.  Do you even have an xorg.conf?

No xorg.conf, so its doing it automatically.

I am not worried about all the probing etc - unless it gets the wrong answer. This is in essence a headless server which runs 24/7 so hardly ever restarts. I have gdm3 start up and automatically start and restart if it exits) mythwelcome, which just sits there on the "console" - which effectively acts as my local TV screen. Its only used to run mythtv-frontend.

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver
not found)

You will not be able to run OpenGL programs.

No matter - although I don't think it failed before.

I have the following in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf

alias char-major-195* nvidia
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44
NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
# To enable FastWrites and Sidebus addressing, uncomment these lines
# options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1
# options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

# see #580894
blacklist nouveau

Which I seem to remember was a previous attempt to ensure the nouveau
driver didn't load.  However an lsmod definitely shows it to be there.

Blacklisting a kernel module only ensures that udev won't load it
(because it runs modprobe with the "-b" switch).  It does not prevent
modprobe _without_ the "-b" switch).

Does this mean that I really ought to make an xorg.conf ?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk