Re: weired issues of debian squeeze (base system)

On Lu, 13 dec 10, 17:17:51, Geronimo wrote:

> > > Ok, that sounds reasonable.
> > >
> > > But then I miss an option, where I can overwrite that.
> >
> > For the installer?
>
> Yes - of cause!
>
> I know on installing gnome the installer asks, whether the hwclock is UTC.
> I don't remember, if the question appeared on kde-installation, but if it
> appeared and the user selects UTC, it is not reasonable, that the installer
> silently ignores the selection and changes hwclock to local mode.

I doubt it depends on package(s) selected, but rather on whether you do
an expert install or not.

> > It would be an additional hassle for people installing dual-boot
> > machines (usually not experienced Debian users) and it is easy enough to
> > change in /etc/default/rcS
>
> On former systems there was a checkbox on desktop time configuration - so it
> was easy to switch system from utc to local mode or back to utc. I don't know,
> why this option disappeared.

Do you mean the mini-config done by KDE3 at first start? That can have
no influence on the system clock, only on user timezone. Or do you mean
the old base-config program, back when the installation was done in two
steps (sarge was the last release to use this IIRC)?

> As you can see in this thread /etc/default/rcS is not well known to be related
> to time settings. I had to google too.
> So I think, the former behaviour was weired for windows user and the current
> behaviour is weired for linux users.
> Time settings are already protected to superuser - so why not bring that
> checkbox back to time settings dialog? May be with a little flyover help for
> windows user explaining the sense of that checkbox?

The question is certainly in the installer, I checked the translation
files (.po), but it is probably shown only on expert installs.

Regards,
Andrei