Re: weired issues of debian squeeze (base system)

Hello,

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 06:58:56, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Geronimo <geronimo013@arcor.de> wrote:
> first, some side comments that aren't going to answer your questions:
> why not use a vm?

I already use virtualbox for testing. Few days after squeeze freeze I had a
crash of my system disk and so I decided to start with squeeze.

The point is - I was a very emotional fan of kde in days before kde 4 - but
now I hate kde. But - as I use applications and not the desktop, I'm used to
both gnome and kde apps. So I need to find out, which mixture is best for me.
gnome is not ready yet to suit my needs, so I have to decide between change my
way of working or use a desktop, which i hate and wich will waste lot of my
time.

> > 1. On both installtions it is impossible to boot the other squeeze
> > installation. First I have to enter BIOS and reorder the boot sequence of
> > the harddisks to enable the start of the other grub - so each grub can
> > boot systems on the same harddisk only!
> > I'm sure, that was not the case with grub1 and hints on how to get a
> > system from a different harddrive booted are very appreciated!
>
> pick a grub install - doesn't matter which, just pick one. add the
> second hdd to the config so that it shows up on the menu.

I tried grup-update on both systems and the menue-entries are already there.
But selecting a menue-entry from another harddisk result in a boot failure:
"you need to start kernel first" or similar.

Doesn't update-grub perform all neccessary steps to enable the boot of found
systems (from os-prober)?

> > 2. One squeeze installation is a gnome system (with some kde apps added)
> > and the other system is a kde (with some gnome apps added). As
> > mentioned, time is UTC based on both installations.
> > When I reboot the gnome system and change BIOS to use kde system the
> > initial filesystem check claims, that the last mount time from
> > superblock is in future. When the kde is up and running - its time is
> > wrong by one hour - and I could not achieve to set the time, that it is
> > right after next reboot. So I had to install ntp to get right times on
> > kde
>
> no idea. i know this happens to my VMs when i put them to sleep and
> such, but i don't really care since they are for testing and i would
> never run time sensitive apps on a vm (time skew in vm is a known
> issue).

Well, both systems run the same kernel and the same file system. I don't know,
whether gnome or kde are involved yet at that early boot stage. I never have a
time skew when I do a "reboot" and I never have the time skew when I boot from
the kde-system to the gnome-system.
This happens only when I change from the gnome-system to the kde-system.

Additionally: I need some time to enter BIOS and reorder boot sequence of
harddrives - so I suspect, that it's not a question of time skew but may be
wrong handling of hwclock - as the kde-system comes up with a wrong time
(wrong by one hour - not a few seconds).

Is it possible, that kde-system use the windows style of hwclock
interpretation? - I know this "wrong time by one hour" by having windows and
linux on the same machine and the clock runs at UTC.

kind regards

Gero