Re: when does one change from testing to stable in sources.list

Hi, Tom:

On Friday 10 December 2010 12:04:33 Tom Furie wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 10:04, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 December 2010 21:05:00 Tom Furie wrote:
> >> As others have mentioned, though you might not have seen the replies if
> >> you weren't CC'd on them, you could change from 'testing' to 'squeeze'
> >> now as they are currently the same thing. Then when squeeze goes stable
> >> you could change to 'stable', this will allow you to track the stable
> >> distribution and it will upgrade to the next stable 'wheezy', when that
> >> is released.
> >
> > I wouldn't suggest that as it can deal to unexpected surprises.
> >
> > Of course, you can do as you see, but in order to track Stable, I always
> > suggest doing it by tracking codename changes, so stay with, say, squeeze
> > till you know wheezy has come Stable and you are ready for the upgrade,
> > then change the codename on your sources and do it.
>
> Why? What's the difference between having stable in the source list and
> automatically upgrading when the new stable is released - all upgrade
> issues *should* be worked out by then

Except those that depend on you yourself.

Some examples:
* Having something more urgent to do right now.
* Being unable to take your servers off-line.
* Having internal packages that need to be tested.
* Having 1000 servers to take care of, so it will take a while to upgrade them
all.