Radeon problems, encore....

Hi,

After installing flgrx 10.11-1 from Sid on my Squeeze machine nothing
worked. So I decided to revert back to fglrx 10.9-3 (which worked, sort
of). But now nothing works (comfortably). I get very slow video
performance with normal operations like scrolling and drag and drop.
Glxgears (I know it is not a benchmark) drops to 60 FPS where it used to
be > 2500.

I don't know what the problem exactly is, but for starters it seems that
the Radeon firmware is not loaded any more. I have tried (almost?) all
options that I could think of:

- removed all vga references from /boot/grub/grub.conf and others,
- adding fglr as module in /etc/modules,
- adding fglrx-kms.conf and/or radeon-kms.conf with "options fglrx
modeset=0/1" and "options radeon modeset=0/1",
- with and without blacklisting radeon,
- adding all sort of modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:
agpgart
agpgart-amd64
i2c-core
i2s-algo-bit
drm
drm_kms_helper
ttm
fglrx/radeon
-running update-grub / uptdae-initramfs etc as appropriate.

How can I get my Radeon card working again? What should be in
my /etc/modules, /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, /etc/modprobe,d/* ?

Is there anyone who has a Radion HD 3850 working on a Squeeze machine
with acceptable performance tha can send me those files?

TIA for any pointers to answers or solutions,

( Angus Hedger gave me a working solution for my slow Radeon card.
Because it worked I tried something else as installing the next great
version ;-). Sorry Angus, I will not do that again).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.