Re: Debian 5 installation

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:55:39 -0500 (EST), Tom H wrote:

> Anyone who's been subscribed to this list for any length of time knows
> that Camaleon is one of the most helpful members here!

I agree.  Camaleón has earned her place on this list.

As for the OP, he clearly doesn't understand a number of basic
things about Debian and this list, such as:

(1) While Debian may make closed-source drivers available in the
non-free section of the archive, the stock Debian installer will
*never* install a non-free driver by default.  The Debian distribution
is committed to being an all-free distribution.  (That's free as
in freedom, as well as in price.)  Most other distributions do not
have this commitment.  If you don't like that, then don't use Debian.
This is who we are, and this is what we do.  As I compose this e-mail,
I am using a computer running Debian squeeze which has a video card with
an Nvidia RIVA TNT/TNT2 chipset, and using the free nv driver.
(The default driver in squeeze for this card is nouveau; but nouveau
does not work properly with interlaced video modes, which
my monitor requires.)

(2) As Camaleón correctly stated, it is not necessary to subscribe
to the list in order to post to it.  It is only necessary to subsribe
to the list if you want to get postings to the list (including
replies to your own postings) sent to you as e-mails.  An alternative
to subscribing is to use a web browser to browse the list archives.
(See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/ for more information.)

(3) Top posting is frowned upon around here.  Please use the usenet
style of quoting.  Some e-mail clients adapt to this posting method
more easily than others, but that's no excuse.  My own e-mail client
uses top posting by default, and I have to spend some time reformatting
things.  But I do it, because that's the way things are done around
here.

(4) Trimming posts is a normal part of the usenet quoting style.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting for more information.)
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

(5) If you don't understand something, ask follow-up questions.
Misunderstandings are to be expected when others can't see your
screen, etc.  But don't insult the people from whom you are trying
to get free help.  If you want to give verbal abuse to your
support personel, then buy a paid support contract from somebody
and abuse them, if they will stand for it; but don't treat your
fellow users that way!  It's not even in your own interests
to do so.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :