Re: setting up a network printer

On Thursday 09 December 2010 07:19:16 pm Rick Pasotto wrote:
> How do I configure a HL-4150CDN Brother printer?
>
> I have installed the hl4150cdnlpr-1.1.1-5.i386.deb and
> hl4150cdncupswrapper-1.1.1-5.i386.deb files from the Brother site.
> http://localhost:631 finds the printer and the correct printer driver.
>
> What is the ip address for the printer? How do I tell lp to use it as
> the default? The print dialog in AbiWord sees the printer but when I
> send something to it nothing prints (the job does show in the queue).
>
> --
> "It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People
>  are either charming or tedious." -- Oscar Wilde
>     Rick Pasotto    rick@niof.net    http://www.niof.net

Caveat, I haven't set up that printer, but I use another Brother network printer.

Somewhere in the docs for your printer will be the IP address for it. Once you
have the address you can use your browser to access the printer, mine has a web
interface. If you address is somewhat unusual, other than 192.168.x.x, the
printer may no be viewable. Not sure if they have the capacity to request a dhcp
lease/address.
--
Peace,

Greg