Re: RAID1 with multiple partitions

On 10.12.2010 21:15, David Gaudine wrote:
The system works, but I still have some questions about whether what I've already done is OK.

1) Is it OK to use 4 MD arrays like this, or should I use just one and LVM like the jerryweb link? I got a bit confused reading about LVM and I don't need anything fancy like being able to resize partitions.

I personally prefer LVM as it gives me more flexibility, but if you do not need that, the setup you selected is fine.

2) I put the SWAP partition on RAID. The first guide doesn't use RAID for swap. The author emailed me his comments about the pros and cons, and I think I want it on RAID for peace of mind. It shouldn't really matter since I have much more RAM than I need. Is there any reason I might regret putting SWAP on RAID? "cat /proc/mdstat" reports the MD1 (the swap device) as "auto-read-only".

In Linux, all raid arrays stay in "auto-read-only" mode until they are access the first time after each reboot, so this seems to imply that your system has not yet initialized the swap. Did you add your swap to /etc/fstab and mark it as swap there?

3) The first guide doesn't use a separate boot partion, the second does. Comments? I've never used a separate boot partition. I think it used to be important on large disks, to keep the kernel in the first 1024 cylinders, but isn't important anymore.

A separate boot partition still makes sense for example if you would like to use a root file system that is not directly supported by your boot manager. I am not sure if the 1024 cylinders border is still valid. Maybe somebody else can comment on this?

4) The first guide shows how to install Grub on both disks. After that's done once, do I have to do it again whenever there's a new kernel package? Or in any other situation that I have to watch out for?

You only need to install grub on both disks once. After that, there is no need to repeat that again unless you upgrade grub itself.

For the other two questions, I cannot say anything.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Reiner.