Re: setting up a network printer

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 23:19:16 -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> How do I configure a HL-4150CDN Brother printer?
>
> I have installed the hl4150cdnlpr-1.1.1-5.i386.deb and
> hl4150cdncupswrapper-1.1.1-5.i386.deb files from the Brother site.
> http://localhost:631 finds the printer and the correct printer driver.
>
> What is the ip address for the printer?

Quick and dirty: "cat /etc/cups/printers.conf | grep URI"

> How do I tell lp to use it as the default?

With "lp" you can select the printer to use (lp -d printer) but is a one-
time option. You can set the default printer via CUPS web interface
("printers" tab / "set as default" button) or using command line tool
("lpoptions -d printer").

> The print dialog in AbiWord sees the printer but when I send something
> to it nothing prints (the job does show in the queue).

Open CUPS web interface and look for any error in the printer status. You
can try to restart CUPS service ("/etc/init.d/cups restart") and try to
print again.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón