Re: Question about Seamonkey, Iceape, and Debian

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:18:29 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> Due to the removal by the Debian Project, of Iceape/Seamonkey from the
> Debian packages, with the latest available version of Iceape/Seamonkey
> for a "stable" debian distribution, being
>
> "
> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US;
> rv:1.8.0.14eol) Gecko/20070505 Iceape/1.0.9
> (Debian-1.0.13~pre080614i-0etch1)
> "
>
> from, apparently, four years ago, thus meaning that the latest .deb
> package of Iceape/Seamonkey available for a "stable" Debian version, is
> four years out of date, with the Seamonkey project not providing
> packaged (as in .deb packages) versions of its software, I am wondering
> when the next version of Iceape for a "stable" version of Debian will
> becomne available, and whether it will have the functionality that the
> latest 'stable" versions of Seamonkey and Firefox apparently have, like
> preserving sessions.

I think the upcoming stable (now "squeeze") will include Iceape.

As for people who is now on lenny and wanting to use Iceape, if running a
32-bits system I would try with the upstream version:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Most of the Mozilla products (like Firefox and Thunderbird) do not even
require an installation, just download and run.

For 64-bits users, I was adviced here that Mozilla uses to provide 64-
bits packages for their "nightly builds" (just note that these packages
are tagged as "beta/testing", not "final/stable" products so there can
be problems with them).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón