Re: Question about Seamonkey, Iceape, and Debian

In <[🔎] alpine.DEB.1.10.1012081410240.25416@bretnewworkstation.busby.net>, Bret
Busby wrote:
>the latest .deb
>package of Iceape/Seamonkey available for a "stable" Debian version, is
>four years out of date, with the Seamonkey project not providing
>packaged (as in .deb packages) versions of its software, I am wondering
>when the next version of Iceape for a "stable" version of Debian will
>becomne available,

New upstream versions are not normally introduced into a stable Debian
version.  The "stable" Debian release is unchanging (i.e. stable) w.r.t.
upstream versions except in the most dire of circumstances.

Backports and sometimes volatile may get new upstream versions, but they have
fewer volunteers than the project as a whole.  Still, they are quite useful
and I've installed many packages from them before.

>and whether it will have the functionality that the
>latest 'stable" versions of Seamonkey and Firefox apparently have, like
>preserving sessions.

Squeeze is in a pretty deep freeze.  When it is released as the new stable,
new upstream versions for many packages will be included.  Between that
release and the Wheezy release, few (if any) new upstream versions will be
introduced into stable.

I do not know the versions of Iceape and Iceweasel that are currently
scheduled for inclusion in Squeeze, but some investigation of packages.d.o and
the PTS on your part will reveal those plans.  Few (if any) features are
removed in the re-branding ("Seamonkey" -> "Iceape"; "Firefox" -> "Iceweasel";
IIRC) process.

Due to a conflict in Debian's (support) and Mozilla's (trademark usage)
policies, it is not reasonable to release non-re-branded versions of Seamonkey
and Firefox as part of stable.