keyboard issues (debian squeeze)

Hi,

I want to get some feedback here concerning an issue I have with my
keyboard in squeeze (64bit)

I have a cheapo logitech usb keyboard (standard US layout).  The
keyboard preferences panel lists two layouts, 1 US, 2 UK (as I entered
UK English language as an option during install).

The first issue (which I can workaround), is that the UK keyboard
layout seems to be the default (even though it's listed second in the
preferences panel).  When I remove the UK layout, my keyboard works
fine *for that session*, but upon reboot the UK layout is back and
causes conflicts.

The second issue I suspect is not related to my keyboard but to
something else entirely. (warning I mention ubuntu here so feel free
to flame away...)

After using the computer for an indeterminate amount of time, one of
the keys will 'stick' - this can either mean wrecking a file I'm
editing in VIM (delete being stuck is kind of destructive) or
continuous scrolling.  A reboot 'fixes' this problem - but as the
keyboard is 'stuck' and won't accept input I have to cut the power :(

This same problem appeared when I upgraded my pc from an old nvidia
card to two ati cards and when I moved from 32bit to 64bit (in this
case I upgraded from ubuntu 9.10 to 10.4).  After much digging through
bug reports on the ubuntu launchpad, it seems that this may be a bug
in X where a thread/process isn't releasing a lock (or something - I
don't have the references right now).  People have reported success at
squashing it with various workarounds - none of which worked for me.

So I decided to switch entirely to debian and haven't regretted it,
except that the keyboard 'locking' bug appears here as well.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with i7 processor, ati
cards (although I haven't installed fancy 3d compositing drivers) on
64bit sqeeze (or ubuntu 10.x)?

If I knew where the problem lies I would file a bug report, but I
don't know how to phrase this in a useful manner.

Thanks,
Kev