Re: Feedback needed: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 04:21:38PM +0000, Camale?n wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A month ago, I disabled Network Manager service in my Squeeze system so
> it doesn't run on start up. I wanted to keep NM installed (just in case)
> but preferred to use the old "ifup" network setup method.
>
> So I issued "update-rc.d network-manager remove" and also disabled gnome
> NM applet from being started. So far so good, no more NM running at
> booting.

Open the update-rc.d manpage, search for 'disable' and it says:

==
A common system administration error is to delete the links with the thought
that this will "disable" the service, i.e., that this  will  prevent the
service  from being started.  However, if all links have been deleted then the
next time the package is upgraded, the package¿s postinst script will run
update-rc.d again and this will reinstall links at their factory default
locations.

The correct way to disable services is to configure the service as
stopped in all runlevels in which it  is started by default.  In the System V
init system this means renaming the service¿s symbolic links from S to K.
==

You didn't disable network-manager. You removed the startup scripts which were
correctly put back by the update.

Of course I only know this by being bitten by it several times in the past ;-)

Regards,

Jochem