Re: Extremely large level 1 backups with dump

>> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 19:15:25 -0800,
>> Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> said:

P> After having some difficulty getting rsync to do exactly what I want,
P> I've become convinced to try rsnapshot.  I'll let you know how it goes.

   I'm interested in seeing what kind of grief you're getting from rsync.
   I've had to argue with it in the past; feel free to reply privately if
   you'd rather.

   Don't rule out dumb and strong, it works great for me.  On one of my
   servers, I do incremental backups hourly like so:

      cd /some/where
      find . -newer /some/timestamp -print > LIST
          ... [dork around with LIST]
      pax -rwdv -pe /else/where < LIST
      touch /some/timestamp

   This box has ~630,000 files using 640 Gbytes, but not many files change
   in an hour.  The find command above rarely takes more than a few minutes.
   If you leave out the pax, you'll have a list of recently-changed files
   which you could feed to rsync via the --files-from=LIST argument.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
than to those attending too small a degree of it.        --Thomas Jefferson