Re: Checkinstall problem with conflicting file

David Sastre wrote:
> (Reading database ... 204242 files and directories currently
> installed.)
> Unpacking vc-dwim (from .../vc-dwim/vc-dwim_1.3-1_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing /srv/git/vc-dwim/vc-dwim_1.3-1_i386.deb
> (--install):
>  trying to overwrite '/usr/local/share/info/dir', which is also in
> package ratpoison 1.4.6-GIT
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
>  /srv/git/vc-dwim/vc-dwim_1.3-1_i386.deb
>
> The conflicting file was installed with checkinstall also.
> Checkinstall should add vc-dwim's info/dir to that one, right?

I assume that these are your own local packaging of those tools?

If so then it is okay for you to include paths in /usr/local, it is
your system and you can locally do anything that you want, but it is
not okay for any officially distributed package.  So both your locally
created vc-dwim and ratpoison packages can do anything you want but
official ones can't touch /usr/local that way.

However both packages are in violation of policy if they include the
info dir file.  Here is a reference:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html

  12.2 Info documents

  The install-info program maintains a directory of installed info
  documents in /usr/share/info/dir for the use of info readers.
  This file must not be included in packages.

I think both need to be fixed so that they can work together.  In the
old way packages would call install-info in their postinst scripts.
But the new way is to use dpkg triggers.  I haven't used the new dpkg
triggers way yet and so have no advice without researching how that is
supposed to be done now.  I would ask over on the debian-mentors
mailing list about how that packaging is supposed to be done.  Lots of
help would be available there on the topic.

Bob