Re: saslauthd in squeeze requires restart once in awhile

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I'm using sasl support with postfix for TLS/SSL support.
saslauthd is set for pam authentication, and this is configured
to use winbind.  It all works!

Once in awhile - twice a month I think it has been - users
report logins to SMTP is failing.  When I test saslauthd,
with testsaslauthd -s smtp, it fails.  If I restart only saslauthd
and run the same testsaslauthd from my command line history,
it works.  The test command is run local and is using authentication
which would rely on the chain of : saslauthd-> pam -> winbind .

I was looking for errors in the maillog file, but there are actually errors in
the authentication log:  auth.log

The first error is:

Dec  4 17:32:04 myhostname saslauthd[32590]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_unix.so): /lib/security/pam_unix.so: cannot open shared object file: Too many open files

I have a feeling this is a symptom, not the cause of the problem.  SMTP with sasl
points to pam.  The config at pam.d/smtp doesn't even list pam_unix ,
but the same error is showing for multiple pam modules.

--Donald