Re: replying to an old list thread.

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 20:12:38 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón - You are doing great job
> answering here! Thanks to You for Your work, again:

Glad to help. I also learn a lot from this list :-)

>> When you hit "reply to → list" your e-mail client gets opened and is
>> automatically set the address of this mailing list in "To:" field ;-)
>
> It does not work for me, nor I want it, actually. But it should be so -
> it is true.

Does not work? :-?

The HTML code is a "mailto:"; link, so your default e-mail client should be
launched as soon as you click on there. Maybe your e-mail cient is not
being associated with the "mailto:"; handler? :-?

>> Anyway, you can also fecth/request the message you want to reply. There
>> was an old thread about that same issue:
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/07/msg01687.html
>
> Wow! I did not think there was such a problem for one else. :)
>
> But, actually, I do not wanna have an archive of the list. - I just see
> the thread to which I want to post a message.

Okay, I told you as an alternative. In fact, is the most used method in
mailing lists when someone missed a message (or a whole thread) and wants
to fecth it again to have it archived locally or just to reply to that
message. Many mailing list software (like Majordomo, et al) allow that
option.

> So, I just do not know how I can do this - using my email client.
>
> Look, on the above link we have a link:
>
> debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> and it points to something like:
>
> mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org?In-Reply-To=<4C4E8B66.2030106@hardwarefreak.com>&Subject=Re:%20Re:%20seeking%20mbox%20of%20debian-user%20from%207-10-2010%20to%207-19-2010
>
> from which I learn that in order my email client sends to the thread I
> have to set the following in the fields:
>
> to: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> subject: Re:%20Re:%20seeking%20mbox%20of%20debian-user%20from%207-10-2010%20to%207-19-2010
>
> Well. Where to figure out the rest (the References):
>
> <4C4E8B66.2030106@hardwarefreak.com>
>
> ?
>
> Or do You mimic that I perform this only by opening a downloaded file in
> email format?

You are asking for doing it in the "hard way" :-)

Let's see:

- mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org

This is the "To" field.

- ?In-Reply-To=<4C4E8B66.2030106@hardwarefreak.com>

This sets the "In-Reply-To:" header field, used in mailing lists for a
correct reference of the cited/thread message. It is hidden.

- &Subject=Re:%20Re:%20seeking%20mbox%20of%20debian-user%20from%207-10-2010%
20to%207-19-2010

And this sets the "Subject:" field.

One avoids fighting with this by fetching/requesting the exact message you
want to reply to the mailing list server. By doing it the hard way you have
to completely construct the e-mail message :-)

Anyway, this method lacks the most important thing, which is whole cited text
in the message body, which you have to copy/paste in the new generated message
with a proper quoting. Not very convenient, IMO.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón