Re: problems with sound

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 01:21:11AM +0200, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> This is debian squeeze on amd64.
>
> Today, sound stopped functioning on my system! Such problems often
> atre solved by a reboot,
> but today that did'nt help.

I had similar problems when I used something like Totem or vlc. After
that no other multimedia program would produce sound. Unfortunately I
cannot remember the url but I have read something about pulseaudio that
claims a sound device or service for itself and that killing that
process would restore the sound.

Maybe you can check which device is involved by running your multimedia
program from the commandline, check the messages, identify the device
and find out which process(es) can be involved by using 'sudo lsof
<devicename>'.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

     "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not
      so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for
      you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will
      come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I
      am, there ye may be also."       John 14:2,3