Re: Recommended, easy to manage FTP server for Debian Lenny?

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 12:14:23 -0500, shawn wilson wrote:

>> P.S. There was a recently exploit in ProFTPD package, if you are
>> thinking in installing, just ensure you get an unaffected package.
>>
>> I'll second vsftpd (as well as proftpd) for ease of use. I didn't know
> about the proftpd exploit though (I don't use ftp anymore so might have
> skimmed over it). That said, if it's personal or your users are nice
> enough i'd recommend ssh / scp. Otherwise, i'd setup a webui for
> transferring data over ssl/tls. Remember, there is nothing secure about
> ftp.

Well, ftp servers can also use encryption (TLS/SSL) so you can give your
users both options (plain ftp for public uploads -no username/password-
and ftps for private usage without the needing of using systems users).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón