Debian 5 installation

I wanted help to install a nvidia legacy graphics driver for TNT 2  AGP
so I thought to contact the user lists for guidance. This was not
possible because:
1 When I tried to use evolution after asking permission (used windows
mail to confirm) I couldn't move its window up to click on forward. The
default vga video setting making the window too large.
2 I thought, having read the installation instructions, Lenny would note
that a nvidia driver was needed. Looking at the xorg.conf file it
obviously couldn't. Configured device was all it said.
3 I read the Debian wiki after downloading appropriate driver from
Nvidia. And downloaded nvidia-xconfig the missing piece of the puzzle.
I think your help on the installation is ego-centric. Is it possible to
get easier assistance?
Harry