Re: Non native English speaker is checking whether a phrasing should be filed a minor bug report.

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:08 +0000, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 06:51 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > by US native speakers of English. I was taught that "it" refers to
> > the most recent prior noun.

>  ii.  Takeshi parked his car in the garage after driving it around ...
>  iii. Mary and Noam went to the pub, because she needed a dram.

> "she" and the most likely antecedent "Mary" and clearly violates the
> rule you have been taught in school.

Or not … :-)

But ii. is still a valid example that violates your rule-of-thumb. Sorry
for the confusion!
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
 : :'  :

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.