Re: Non native English speaker is checking whether a phrasing should be filed a minor bug report.

On Tuesday 30 November 2010 19:10:45 David Jardine wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 06:38:34PM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 November 2010 12:22:57 Regid Ichira wrote:
> > >  Consider the following:
> > >
> > > $ man bootlogd | grep -A4 DESCRIPTION
> > > DESCRIPTION
> > >        Bootlogd runs in the background and copies all strings sent  to
> > > the /dev/console  device to a logfile. If the logfile is not
> > > accessible, the messages will be kept in memory until it is.
> > >
> > > I think there is a problem with the 2nd sentence.  Doesn't it lacks an
> > > objective?  Until when will the messages be kept in memory?
> >
> > No, there is no problem.  The messages will be kept in memory until the
> > logfile is accessible.  But to say it like that is bad style in this
> > context. As it is written is definitely correct and is what a native
> > English speaker would say.
>
> Do you really find it bad style?  As a native English speaker I find it
> the most elegant way to express the idea.  :)
>
> Cheers,
> David

Yes - I don't like too much reiteration of the same words - and the original
is much more felicitous.

Tho' come ot think of it, bad style is probably a bit strong and how I have
expressed it hear somewhat closer to the mark.

Anyhow, however one phrases it, I see the original as definitely preferable.
I suppose I was reacting a bit to someone who is not a native speaker wanting
to send in as a bug some completely acceptable, and to me felicitous,
English.

But style, like beauty, is presumably in the eye of the beholder. ;-)

Lisi