Re: Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:15:31 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> # dmesg|grep parport
> [   11.593036] parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> [   71.028713] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

These are the defaults; so that's not proof that the options are being
processed.  Those are the messages that my system issues too, and
I'm not using an options statement for parport_pc.  You might try
changing the options to non-default values, just for grins,
and see what happens.

> Then I edited the `install.sh' script as you suggested.  I'm pretty sure to
> have replaced all the possible occurrences of any expression resulting in
> /etc/modprobe.conf with the corrispondent instance that gives
> /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf in a clever manner.  Then I reinstalled and
> rebooted, but the printer is dead.  It lives up again if I restore things as
> the manufacturer wants: /etc/modprobe.conf.  Editing that script is just the
> same as merely replacing by hand /etc/modprobe.conf with
> /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.

Not necessarily.  There may be other scripts besides install.sh that
contain references to /etc/modprobe.conf.  For example, there may be
a script in /etc/init.d.  There may also be a reference to /etc/modprobe.conf
in compiled code than you cannot see.

> Now I wish to uninstall all and use the debianized packages at:
>
>   http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/
>
> Are they the same that you use?  Can you check the toner level with them?
> That's the only reason Samsung software is useful.  If there's another way, I'm
> going to uninstall it.

I don't have or use that model of printer; so I don't know.  So far, all the
printers I have attempted to use with Debian are old enough that there are
Debianized drivers built into CUPS/foomatic that work just fine.  As for checking
the toner level, most printers I have used have a "toner low" light on the
printer itself which warns me that the toner is about to run out, and that
has always been adequate enough for my purposes.

I can't speak for the drivers to which you are referring, but in general
I would recommend using a driver package that has been customized for
the Debian environment.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :