Re: Size of minimal Debian installation

In <[🔎] ib5d2h$t99$1@speranza.aioe.org>, s. keeling wrote:
>Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
>>  Jason Hsu, embedded engineer, Linux user wrote:
>> > I have a minimal Debian installation ...
>>
>>  You might be interested in reading through a discussion that is
>>  happening right now on debian-devel:
>>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/10/threads.html#00310
>>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/10/msg00310.html
>
>After ca. 15 a. of Debian:
>
>   /        2 Gb

I usually make this much smaller, but I also split off /opt, /srv, and /tmp.
(In addition to your separation of /home and /usr.)

>   swap     total RAM

I usually make this 2x RAM, but that seems more and more silly on systems
where I won't be using suspend-to-RAM features.  I also set
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory to "2" and the amount of swap you configure is
more important in such a configuration. (For me, /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio
is "100".)