Re: Problems configuring wireless with wicd on amd64 lenny

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> writes:
> : ifconfig wlan0 up
>                               succeeds, do not print anything.
> : iwlist wlan0 scan
>                               wlan0       No scan results.

There is a problem at this point. It should have been listing available
APs in your range. I can think of two reasons:

- Some notebook models (e.g. Lenovo 3000 series) have a wireless switch
  on their outer surface. You need to turn this on to be able make
  wireless network card tx/rx radio packages.

- You still couldn't manage to install the card drivers properly.

[Continue reading...]

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> writes:
> 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)

I think there is a problem here. Would you mind checking this by sending
us "lspci -vnn" and "dmesg" messages produced by Ubuntu GNU/Linux Live?
(Please do not wrap lines in the outputs while sending the message.)
168c:001c appears[1] to be supported by ath5k, but I wonder what trick
we are missing that Ubuntu successfully does.

Regards.

[1] http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k#supported_chips