Re: Searching inside e-mail clients (was: KMail - forwarding issues)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:01:28 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:35:31 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:48:30 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

> >> with mbox and searching strings in Icedove is bit slow if mbox files
> >> are big (measured in GiB :-P).
> >
> > If you're still doing on-demand searching, have you considered using a
> > mail indexer, such as Sylph-Searcher, or a generic file indexer, such as
> > recoll?
>
> Yep, I'm using Tracker. But Tracker for Lenny still lacks Icedove
> integration so I have to use Icedove embedded search, which is fine but
> so basic. And I need to keep Icedove because of its hmtl support. Another
> option is Evolution but always found it too much resource consuming and
> bloated.

I use recoll, which has no MUA integration.  I'm thinking of configuring
Sylph-Searcher, which uses a postgresql backend.

I don't do HTML mail ;)

> > Obviously, dedicated mail indexers have the advantage of understanding
> > the structure of emails, so you can search for mail with specific field
> > contents.
>
> I would like to see Icedove supporting both, mbox and maildir :-)

Sylph uses MH, similar to maildir, but can import and export mbox.

Celejar