Re: A question for the list:

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 14:53:05 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:

> Celejar writes:
> > Someone who was doing ordinary stable upgrades would see the warnings
> > in the release notes, but it was pretty easy to get bitten by this if
> > you were just tracking Sid.
>
> Which is why you should not "track" Sid at all.  Since any DD can upload
> to it at any time (that is what "unstable" means) it is not guaranteed
> to be consistent at all times.  Testing, on the other hand, is
> (supposedly) always consistent since packages cannot migrate to it
> unless all their dependencies are satisfied.

I understand your point, but the problem I was referring to in my
message had nothing to do with the consistency or inconsistency of the
flavor's state.  I had said that the kernel renaming of the device
nodes could easily have rendered a system unbootable, and AFAIK, it
would have been quite easy to get hit by that even when tracking
Testing, or when following your suggestion of not constantly upgrading
one's Sid installation.

Celejar