Re: linux-image for i586

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 00:29:24 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>> Will there be any gain? :-?
>
> I believe - as it has other technologies than i486 CPUs.

I guess i586 shares most of the i686 specs and that's the reason for the
i686 kernel: all needed for a PV arch. is bundled there.

>> Anyway, I think you can always re-compile/re-build your own kernel
>> (i686) and enable MMX extensions...
>
> It reaches recompiling every time the package is updated. That is not
> what I want.
>
> But, actually, my question was just - did I not miss it somehow.

No, I cannot see any i586 kernel (i686 is the right one for pentium).

And we need to thank Debian DD because at least they provide i486 flavour
(and that's very uncommon in other distros) >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón