Re: dovecot imapd on network

Camaleón put forth on 11/3/2010 2:37 PM:
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:37:12 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>
>> I have dovecot imapd setup & working on my Lenny box, and I  have a
>> local user account setup in thunderbird & have IMAP folders. I am trying
>> to setup my laptop to that IMAP account working, but it is refusing
>> connections...
>> do I need to do something to iptables? or am I missing something else..
>
> I fairly doubt your iptables policy is so "hard" that blocks lan
> connections :-?
>
> Can you telnet the local imap server from your laptop?
>
> telnet 192.168.0.1 143

The Debian Lenny Dovecot 1.0.15 dovecot.conf disables plain text login
by default as a security measure.  Look for the following in
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:

# Disable LOGIN command and all other plaintext authentications unless
# SSL/TLS is used (LOGINDISABLED capability). Note that if the remote IP
# matches the local IP (ie. you're connecting from the same computer), the
# connection is considered secure and plaintext authentication is allowed.
# disable_plaintext_auth = yes

This would explain why you can log in via Thunderbird on the Debian
Lenny machine which _is your workstation_ not a server, but not from
your laptop.

To use IMAPS requires a cert and key file.  You must generate these,
unless you already have them.

You really need to read this config file, and specifically the comments,
from top to bottom.  Familiarize yourself with your Dovecot
configuration.  This is a server application designed to be managed by
system administrators, not end users.  Debian purposefully makes the
conf defaults a bit screwy in order to force the OP to read the config
file and make the necessary modifications so the daemon works the way
the OP desires.

In essence Debian Dovecot is broken out of the box, WRT remote clients,
intentionally.  You must manually enable plain text auth and/or SSL/TLS
auth.  This is one of the good traits of Debian.  It tries to keep you
from getting yourself into trouble due to lack of education/knowledge.
It forces you to learn to the software simply to get it working the
first time.

Hope this helps ya Paul and doesn't seem preachy. :)

--
Stan