Re: improve screen resolution

On 03/11/2010 19:46, Morgan Gangwere wrote:
On 11/2/2010 12:20 AM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
[stuff]

I've had exactly similar problems... And mine were solved by building my
own Xorg configuration.

Part of this was by going around and doing VERY general google searches
about my laptop and linux/X. The other part of it was going and getting
another dist to generate an xorg.conf that worked (somewhat), copying
that onto a flash drive or to dropbox or something.

Here's what I think /your/ xorg.conf file is going to look like:

---8<--- xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
	Driver "kbd"
	Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Configured Mouse"
	Driver "mouse"
	Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "SiS Graphics Adapter"
	Driver "sis"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "Generic Monitor"
	Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Default Screen"
	Device "SiS Graphics Adapter"
	Monitor "Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth 24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth 24
		Modes "1280x768" "1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "Default Layout"
	Screen "Default Screen"
	InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
	InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Its worth a shot.

Thanks for your suggestion.
First - copied your file into xorg.conf. It complained and crashed.
second - cut away excess and only left what is to do with screen.
It did not complain but went in to console mode.
third - tried some more little tweaks. No difference.
Now again no xorg.conf file.
Kind regards
Johan