Re: help with rtorrent

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm new to bittorrent.  I'm using rtorrent to download
> debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso.  I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
> my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.

That sounds right for a classic bittorrent client. I used to open about
the same ports years ago with the first bittorrent client from Bram
Cohen when that was all there was.. :)

> So far I've downloaded 485 MB and uploaded only 9 MB.  Did I do
> something wrong, or is that normal?

That does seem a bit low but if your downloading ISO's there may be a
lot of seeds (clients who have the whole download) compared to leeches
(clients who don't have the whole download yet). In that case uploading
will be a bit slow. That won't happen with all .torrents. :)

> When I go to "Info" on this torrent, rtorrent says "Connection type:
> leech".  What do I need to do to be a good bittorrent citizen?

Just leave the torrent running (seeding) after it's done so others can
get the file also is a good bittorrent citizen.