Re: help with rtorrent

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 21:35:24 -0400
Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

> I'm new to bittorrent.  I'm using rtorrent to download
> debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso.  I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
> my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.

The best way to check that the ports are actually accessible from the
'net is to do an external port scan.  You can do it yourself if you
have access to an external machine; if not, try an online portscanner,
e.g.:

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

> So far I've downloaded 485 MB and uploaded only 9 MB.  Did I do
> something wrong, or is that normal?

Can't know without details of this particular swarm; could be either.
If almost everyone else already has the thing, there won't be anyone to
upload to.  Check how many peers there are in the swarm, and what are
their completion percentages.

> When I go to "Info" on this torrent, rtorrent says "Connection type:
> leech".  What do I need to do to be a good bittorrent citizen?

Celejar