Re: Mail server recommendations

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:10:10AM +0530, Abdullah wrote:
> I want to setup a mailserver on a debian machine. please help me as i have
> not got a perfect answer by googling.
> I wuld like to use squirrelmail. please help.

First set up a nameserver, see
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/DNS-HOWTO.gz. Install exim4-daemon-heavy,
clamav-daemon, spamassassin and exim4-doc-[html|info]. Copy
/usr/share/doc/exim4/examples/example.conf.gz to
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf, unzip it and adjust the settings as you
need. Check the files regarding the aforementioned packages in
/etc/defaults. Install and set up apache2, courier-imap and
squirrelmail.

You may find that you need a static IP address and DNS entries to
successfully send outgoing messages and to retrieve them, and you may
want to have a backup MX to receive incoming messages. You can also
use a smarthost if you have access to one, and perhaps you want to use
fetchmail ...

Exim has excellent documentation. There´s no "perfect answer" about
how to set up a mailserver. It can be a very simple thing to do as
well as something very complicated.